Skip to main content
EU Solidarity with Ukraine

Fleeing Ukraine: Your rights in the EU

Once you have crossed into the EU you have a number of options depending on your personal circumstances. The authorities will inform you accordingly about your rights.

This information is also available in: Ukrainian | українська | Russian | русский

You can be granted temporary protection

If you were permanently residing in Ukraine, and you left the country to escape war from 24 February 2022 onwards, you may be entitled to temporary protection in any EU country. Temporary protection will last for at least one year, this may be extended depending on the situation in Ukraine. Rights under the Temporary Protection Directive include a residence permit, access to the labour market and housing, medical assistance, and access to education for children. Anyone residing legally in the EU also has a right to open a basic bank account. You will also have the right to open a basic bank account.

You can apply for international protection in the EU

Beneficiaries of temporary protection have the right to make an application for international protection (asylum) at any time.

If you choose to do so, your temporary protection may be suspended while you have the status and rights of an asylum applicant. If at the end of the examination your asylum application is rejected and the current temporary protection is still in place in the EU, your temporary protection status will revive.

You should inform yourself about which practices the Member State applies in order to decide whether to ask for international protection in addition to a residence permit showing your temporary protection status.

You can request repatriation assistance

Irrespective of your nationality and right to international protection, if you were living in Ukraine and have fled the war, you should be able to cross the EU border. If it is safe to return to your home country, you should contact relevant authorities or organisations to help you get back.

For repatriation assistance, you should contact the embassy/consulate of your country of origin in the EU country where you are currently staying. The national authorities in this country can also help you to contact your embassy/consulate in case you encounter problems and may offer assistance for your repatriation.

You have consumer rights

You are protected by EU consumer protection law while you are in the EU. This set of laws keeps dangerous products off the market and makes sure you are treated fairly whether you’re opening a bank account, travelling, signing a mobile phone contract or buying online.

Know your consumer rights